Do you have frugal tendencies? Believe in Doing It Yourself? You can clean your own hot tub filter in most cases – here are some tips on how to do it!
Method One: Rinsing
- Check your manufacturer’s instructions for removing your cartridge filter before you attempt it yourself, since you’ll have to remove it before you can clean it. You may need to turn off the spa before you can remove the filter.
- Wash it off with a garden hose to remove larger debris such as hair, leaves, bugs, and the like. Use a concentrated stream if possible so it gets between the folds of your filter.
- Consider trying a hot tub filter nozzle for your hose to create a concentrated but wide stream, reducing splashback. Rotate the filter as you spray it, and start with the top, working your way to the bottom.
- Cleaning is done! Replace the filter and enjoy your spa.
Use a pressure washer! It’s too intense and can damage the filter paper.
Method Two: Overnight Filter Cleaner
It’s a good idea to clean your hot tub filter monthly so it can function at optimal levels. When you soak it overnight in a cleaning solution as an additional boost every 2-3 months, it gets an extra deep cleaning. This is particularly important for oily residues from sunscreen, skin oils, and lotions which won’t wash off easily with water alone.
- DIY solution: Dissolve tri-sodium phosphate (TSP) in water: about 1 cup for every 5 gallons.
- Pick up a product such as Aqua Filter Free, which is designed specially to dissolve oil and mineral buildups on the filter components.
- After soaking, rinse the filter thoroughly and replace, as above.
…Use other household cleaning agents. They have a tendency to cause a foaming problem in the hot tub once the filter is reinstalled.
…Use bleach! It might make the filter white, but it will reduce your filter life as bleach degrades the filter material.
Your filter probably needs to be replaced every 18 months if it is properly and regularly maintained. Sometimes cleaning is tricky as calcium carbonate can build up and clog the filter. This may need a weak solution of muriatic acid to dissolve it. If you keep your filter well-maintained, it will last longer and function better.
If you’re not so sure about doing it yourself, RnR Hot Tubs and Spas will do your monthly maintenance for you! If you are interested in our services or have any questions about cleaning, give us as call at 403-203-0860.