The filter is a critical component of any hot tub. It removes contaminants and debris that affect water quality (dirt, sweat, oils, hair, leaves, sticks, etc). A dirty filter cannot do the task it’s intended for. How do you ensure that your filter is doing its job? Choose a high-quality long-lasting filter and clean it frequently with a top-quality cleaning product. The following are tips for effectively cleaning your hot tub filter.
- Degrease: Your hot tub filter is made of paper that absorbs the oils introduced into your spa by users. Soaking a filter in a detergent degreaser breaks down and strips the oils that are saturating the filter. Use a product that is made to cut through grease and oil, that is phosphate-free and won’t result in foam such as Spa Marvel filter cleaner, Spa Life Filter Free or Aqua Filter Free.
- Rinse: After soaking your filter in a degreaser, rinse it thoroughly. Since the pleats tend to hold debris, a simple rinse in the sink is not sufficient. Use a pressure washer to carefully and effectively remove detritus and the loosened oils. If you don’t have a pressure washer, try the sprayer at a coin-operated car wash.
- Reinstall: Reinsert the filter as per your professional spa retailer’s instructions.
- Replace: If your filter is still not clean after degreasing and rinsing procedures, is discoloured or has any visible damage, replace it as per your professional spa retailer’s directions.
How often should I clean my filter?
- Weekly: Remove the filter from your hot tub and give it a quick but thorough rinse with clean water spreading apart each pleat and rinsing well between them to remove any dirt, hair, or other debris.
- Every three to four months: In a large, clean bucket, dilute the degreasing chemical with water according to the directions. Let your filter rest in the solution for 24 hours then thoroughly rinse the filter and allow it to air dry before reinserting it in your spa.
Cleaning your filter will prolong its life and help your hot tub work efficiently. Mark your calendar or set a reminder to make sure you clean your filter on a regular basis. Use a high-quality cleaning product and rinse well. Then, sit back and enjoy your spa!
Need an effective filter cleaner? Want advice and/or help maintaining your spa? Call Alberta’s premier hot tub store, RnR Hot Tubs at (403) 203-0860 or fill the request form. We are a leader in spa technology and education. With over 30 years of expertise in the field, we are a trusted provider in Alberta, ensuring quality, longevity and affordability to all of our customers.