The COVID-19 pandemic has forced many people to find alternative ways of exercising as gyms are either closed, allow restricted numbers or feel unsafe. If you’re finding it difficult to discover alternative activities to satisfy your fitness needs, exercising at home in a swim spa may be the answer.
What is a swim spa?
A swim spa is a long narrow tank, similar to a swimming pool but on a smaller scale. It can have a hot tub on one end and a swimming area on the other, offering the best parts of a swimming pool and a hot tub in one convenient package. A swim spa is equipped with a strong jet system that creates a stream of water powerful enough for you to walk, jog or swim in place. A large rectangular area allows enough space for the leg kicking and arm movement needed for freestyle, butterfly and even breaststroke. The water resistance allows you to gradually build up your strength and endurance as well as improve your cardiovascular health. An optional rowing kit and resistance bands create some great strength training options. A swim spa can also be used for relaxing in hot water with a jet massage, lowering stress and relieving pain and tension.
What are the benefits of a swim spa?
There are numerous benefits of owning a swim spa.
- A private exercise space: No need to travel to the gym. No waiting for a machine. No sharing space with sweaty fitness enthusiasts. A swim spa is a private place to work on your fitness level.
- A flexible workout schedule: Exercise at your convenience! Start and finish any time you want. Workout at home, adjusting the intensity of your workout to fit your fitness goals. Then relax using the jets to assist with muscle recovery.
- Low-impact exercise: The water of a swim spa supports some of your body weight making your exercise low-impact, while the heat of the water increases circulation allowing you to achieve deeper stretches.
- Increased effectiveness: The resistance provided by the stream of water helps improve the effectiveness of your workout. It also reduces the feelings of overexertion and fatigue.
- The ideal environment for all fitness levels: Exercise with no current or a gentle current when getting started. As you gain fitness, increase the difficulty by speeding up the flow of water or by using equipment.
- Improved health: Working out against the force of the water strengthens your heart muscles and improves the delivery of oxygen while mitigating muscle spasms, body pain and stress.
- Year-round use: Unlike swimming pools, a swim spa can be used all year.
- Adjustable heat: Adjust the temperature of your swim spa as needed, keeping the water a little cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
- Swimming Lessons: No pool close by? Not comfortable taking your children to a public pool during the pandemic? A swim spa offers a controlled environment where you can help your kids learn the basics of swimming.
What exercises can I do in a swim spa?
There are many exercises that can be effectively done in the confines of a swim spa.
- Swimming: Program a customized swimming experience to suit your needs. Build endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness. Lower blood pressure, reduce cholesterol and control blood sugar levels with a workout that meets your individual preferences.
- Running: Achieve a great cardio workout by running against the water resistance, allowing the water to eliminate the pounding on your joints while achieving substantial fitness results.
- Walking: Try a power walk in your swim spa, walking against the current to make the experience more challenging.
- Resistance Training: Use the power of the water as resistance and/or purchase the optional rowing kit and resistance bands to create some great strength training options.
- Core Exercises: Look for a swim spa with a current that spans the full width of the pool portion. Hold onto the side, ramp up the water pressure and do crunches or pikes against the current. Try a medicine ball or kickboard for added resistance.
A swim spa can give you the same results as working out at the local gym. Water workouts add a powerful dimension to any exercise plan. Water supports muscles during exercise and diminishes joint stress, reducing the risk of injury and helping achieve peak performance. Forget the public pool! Forget the gym! Enjoy an effective workout in your own backyard. Follow it with an enjoyable soak. Try exercise at home in a swim spa today!
Interested in the convenience, privacy and effectiveness of working out in a swim spa? Call Alberta’s premier hot tub store, RnR Hot Tubs at (403) 203-0860 or fill the request form. We are a leader in spa technology and education and carry a variety of swim spa models from major brands including Vita Spas, American Whirlpool, and MAAX Spas. We’re a trusted provider in Alberta, ensuring quality, longevity and affordability to all of our customers.